2 Mega Egg egg whites
120 g sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 150 0C.
2. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
3. Make sure your eggs are at room temperature.
4. Separate your eggs and set the yolks aside for later.
5. whip your egg whites with an electric mixer until they form soft peaks.
6. Add the sugar spoon by spoon, whisking constantly. Do not be tempted to add more sugar at once.
7. Place neat spoonfuls of the meringue mixture onto the baking tray.
8. Place in the oven at 150 0C and cook for about 15 minutes.
9. Reduce the heat to between 90 and 100 oC and cook for a further hour.
75 g butter
150 g sugar
1 egg and 2 egg yolks (saved from the meringues)
1.In a saucepan, melt the butter with the sugar, lemon zest and juice. When melted remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2.Beat the eggs and yolks with the electric whisk.
3.Pour the egg mix into butter/lemon mix. Continue to stir carefully over a low heat until it thickens and mixture coats the back of a spoon
4. Allow to cool and store in sterilised jars
**Careful not to heat the mixture to quickly after you add the eggs as will curdle and turn to a scrambled egg like consistency.