Try this recipe for Flahavans Beef and Oat Lasagne.
2 tbsp of olive oil
450g (1kg) lean minced beef
200g (80z) Flahavan’s Pinhead Oatmeal
1 carrot , 1 onion, 1 stick of celery (optional) – finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
200ml of beef stock
Salt and pepper
1 bunch of O’ Hanlon’s Herbs fresh rosemary, chopped
200g (80z) Kilmeaden Mature Cheddar
1 oz of Avonmore butter
10z of plain flour
700ml of Avonmore Milk
pinch of nutmeg
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the meat and cook until brown. Drain off any excess fat or oil.
- Add the pinhead oatmeal and fry for a further 3- 4 minutes.
- Lower the heat and add the chopped, onion, carrot, celery, garlic. Cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, herbs and enough beef stock to give a good consistency. Simmer gently for a further 10 minutes.
- While the ragú is cooking, make the white sauce.
– melt the butter in a saucepan on a medium heat
– add the flour and cook for two minutes, stirring well
– add the milk, a little at at a time, whisking until the sauce thickens
-stir in a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg.
- Layer a large oven tray (approx. 32cm x 22 cm) with sheets of lasagne, then ragu, then white sauce. Repeat the layering process, finishing with white sauce and grated cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 40 minutes at 180oc/350oc/Gas Mark 4.