- 450g / 1 lb penne, or other preferred pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 350g/12 oz Crowe’s back rashers
- 1 onion
- 15g/1/2 oz butter
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic
- 350g/12 oz button mushrooms
- 300ml/1/2 pint cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Grated Parmesan style cheese to serve (optional)
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the pasta in it for 7-8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain well, return to the pan and toss in the olive oil; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, trim and dice the rashers, chop the onion and crush the garlic in a little salt. Melt the butter in a pan, and cook the bacon, onion and garlic gently for 5 or 6 minutes, or until the onion is just softening.
- Trim the mushrooms and halve or quarter them, according to size, then add to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes. Stir in the cream, bring up to boiling point and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add this bacon and mushroom sauce to the pasta, mix well and season with a good grinding of black pepper.