6-10 Keelings Apples.
4 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/3 cup golden syrup or runny honey
1 teaspoon of red liquid food colouring
1. Put the sugar, water, honey or syrup and coloring in a pan and stir over a low heat with a wooden spoon until all the sugar is dissolved. You will be able to feel at the bottom of the pan that the grains have dissolved.
2. Bring the mixture to the boil uncovered for about 15 minutes or until it reaches the “crack stage”: Drop a couple of drops of the mixture into cold water, and it should set hard to the touch and be brittle.
3. In the meantime, push some popsicle sticks into the apples and sit them on a tray covered in grease-proof paper, awaiting to be dunked.
4. Remove the pan from heat and wait until bubbles subside a bit and then swirl the apples in the sugar mixture, tilting and rotating them until apple is completely covered.
5. Tap a few times to avoid puddles forming under the apples, and place them on the paper to cool down and harden.
6. Now enjoy