Wholemeal Scone Round
- 175g/6oz Cream Plain Flour
- 175g/6ozCoarse Wholemeal Flour
- 25g/1oz Wheat Bran
- 1 Teaspoon Bread Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 x 125g Carton Natural Yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
- 1 Egg
- 150ml/1⁄4pt Milk
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly dust a flat baking tray with flour.
- Sieve the cream flour, salt and soda into a mixing bowl. Add the wholemeal and bran and mix well.
- In a jug beat together the yogurt, oil, egg and milk.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix to a soft dough. Allow to sit for a few minutes, so bran absorbs some liquid!
- Transfer to a floured surface and lightly knead. Shape into a round about 1″/5cms in thickness. Place onto prepared tin. Bake for about 20 minutes until risen and golden brown. It is baked when tapped underneath and has a hollow sound. Remove from tin and wrap in clean tea towel to cool.
- 1 Level Tablespoon Cream Plain Flour
- 25g/1oz Margarine
- 275g/10oz Potatoes, chopped (weighed after peeling) about 3 average potatoes
- 1 Stick of Celery, chopped
- 1 Small Carrot, chopped
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- 400ml/3⁄4pt Stock
- 150ml/1⁄4 Milk
- Ground Black Pepper
- Chopped Parsley to garnish
- Place the margarine, vegetables, stock and pepper in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove from the heat and pulp or liquidize the mixture. Blend the flour with the milk and add to the soup, bring to the boil and stir continuously for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add parsley and serve with the buttered scones!